Cobots, robots working collaborating with people to accomplish specific tasks like deep tissue massage, are a reality and they are going to change how we look at work. We will explore how soft skills will enable us to react effectively in this weeks’ episode.
Among the topics cohosts Dr. Tobin Porterfield and Bob Graham talk about this week include”
- How robots learn tasks
How robots are learning new steps and the latest in robot technology
Robots are becoming a bigger part of the job world
How new technology is changing our soft skills
Examples of when soft skills exceed the capabilities of a robot
Why humans will always be needed
Another soft skill will land front and center in our discussion. See which one every Wednesday.
Age, ethnic, cultural, socioeconomic, political, social and lifestyle diversity is a reality in today’s workplace. In this episode of the Serious Soft Skills Podcast, we will discuss what being culturally aware means and how to avoid being culturally unaware.
Among the topics Dr. Tobin Porterfield and Bob Graham discuss in this episode:
- Dealing with diversity in the workplace and how it affects performance, innovation and meeting customers’ needs
- The example in computers and how they look differently for a 60 year old vs. a 20 year old
- Why we need to try to see the world more broadly than only through our own eyes
- How opportunities are lost when we go blindly or avoid situations
- Awareness of where diversity issues arises is the first step
- When we put people in a place of being an outsider and how it hurts us
- Something as simple as food can raise issues or diffuse them
- How Goleman’s work on emotional intelligence set the stage, but does not full cover cultural awareness
- Individual and organizational responsibility for recognizing and leveraging people’s differences
- How mentoring and one-on-one interactions, and even our peers, can help us become more adept
- Finding similarities can overcome great challenges
Hints for Being More Culturally Aware
- Avoid doing anything that could marginalizing one or more individuals.
- Ensure your organization is setting a tone for inclusion
- Engage in self-reflection to become better (see Episode 14)
Serious Soft Skills will celebrate its first anniversary with a look at the last year, what’s coming up for us in the new year and a celebration.