It’s Week 4 of the Six Weeks of Serious Soft Skills Strategy, where we will be looking at how to incorporate soft skills into a job interview. Armed with this ability, you will zoom to the top of every job search list.
In Episode 29 of the Serious Soft Skills Podcast, Dr. Tobin Porterfield and Bob Graham continue to put soft skills to work for you in your quest to obtain a better job or a promotion. This week, we’re going to talk through how to use soft skills as an interviewee.
Among the topics covered:
- Soft skills are best conveyed in storytelling, which is a soft skill.
- Rather than reciting facts, give context.
- Show passion, show initiative, show you did more than what was required.
- Why you want to be sticky to the interviewer
- How long an anecdote or story should be
- Dealing with open-ended questions
- Highlighting your transferrable skills
- How you want to be remembered by the employer or search committee
- How to take control of the interview and make sure you get to explain your soft skills
- Dealing with behavioral questions
- What you need to do in advance to be ready to integrate soft skills into an interview
- Why you should take EVERY interview offered
Next week we will be starting the last part of our Six Weeks of Soft Skills Strategy. For the next two weeks, we will look at the soft skills and interviewing from the employer’s perspective. Not only will this help people looking to hire, but potential interviewees will obtain even more insights into how to integrate soft skills into their job search. Coming up next week on the Serious Soft Skills Podcast.
And don’t forget to download your copy of our ebook, The 55 Soft Skills that Guide Employee and Organizational Success, with the coupon code “sixweeks” to get it for free. Until next time, good day, thanks for listening, and of course, good soft skills.